Monday, August 23, 2010

Glorious Day

When I read the Bible, I can't get away from this reminder. The writers just keep coming back to it over and over. In different ways they just repeat, "Don't forget the Last Day." It's like Jesus keeps saying, "Remember I'm coming back. And live in expectation." I was reminded again of that even as we celebrated his death this morning through the Eucharist with our church staff. Paul reminds us in I Corinthians 11:26 that we announce the Lord's death "until He comes again."

That's exactly what Peter gets at in verse 12 of I Peter 2. Jesus' second coming is the backdrop to Peter's ethical instruction in the previous verses. He's saying, "Live this way among unbelievers and your hope will be vindicated when Jesus returns and "judges the world."

Both of these are small references of what seems to be squeezing through the cracks of the epistles until like Paul, he can't stand it anymore and just has to spend a whole chapter (I Corinthians 15) to talk about the Resurrection the hope this gives us for our present work: "Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever in vain (15:58)."

So, for Mondays I'd hope this is something of an encouragement to anyone who feels the "grind" of labor. There is a day coming when Jesus will demonstrate to the world that all work and labor and perseverance in this world as Christians was not for nothing. There will be fruits for every seed we bury and a resurrection for every death we die.

No comments: